The Conundrum of a Teachers Authority:
A recurring theme that appears in the PPLE tutorials and in fact across all units, is the level of authority that a teacher may, and should, acquire in a classroom. Historically it appears we've evolved from the didactic pedagogy that existed, whereby the teacher is the sole authority of the classroom. This would identify with this new term we've been introduced to, "teacher-centric learning."
Whilst I agree that a conversational atmosphere to a classroom is beneficial and possibly more encouraging for students to interact within, I think it is important to remember that whilst we are (what we are now terming) 'facilitators' of learning, students still come to a teacher as their superior source of knowledge. Not only knowledge on subject matter and course content, but also as a moral educator and a wiser body that may smooth out the general awkwardness of being a high school student.
I feel that there is a general agreement amongst the student body that teachers need to somehow submit this idea of being the main authority where as I believe it is still a vital role for a teacher to maintain. If students and teachers are in the same level of the hierarchy, not only does it not teach aspects of learning such as respect and patience to someone else's knowledge, but it consequently defeats the purpose of the function of the teacher. Perhaps the role of the teacher is becoming obsolete.
Reflective Journal 2 - 6/3/11
My reflection this week is in regards to the "Quality teaching methods" that were introduced to in the STS tutorial on Thursday.
What struck me about this new grading system was how the weighting of the numbers used for critiquing (1-5) were not in any kind of systematic order. The numbers simply reflect a distinction in various aspects of the classroom experience. Superficially, number 5 catagories seem to represent a more proficient and efficient teaching method and outcomes. Deb, however, made a point in acknowledging that whilst some areas of teaching a lesson will warrant a 4 or 5 grade, other catagories will compliment or balance that out, and receive a 1 or 2 grade. For example, a lesson may result in the students demonstrating a high quality of deep understanding and knowledge and engagement with the material, but there therefore may be a low level of oral communication or use of metalanguage. It is not imperative to achieve a high grade across all aspects of the classroom experience.
Deb also pointed out that if we did achieve all 5's across each area being critiqued, it would probably make for a boring lesson. On the same token however, if we maintained 1's across all aspects of this rubric, we may need to reflect on how the lesson was conducted and question if we achieved the most productive outcomes possible.
Reflective Journal 3 - 10/3/11
Knowledge VS Understanding
Although we are now entering week 6 of our diploma, I am still finding the issue of Understanding VS Knowledge a problematic one. I feel like without understanding this quandary I cannot employ theories of “Deep understanding” and “deep knowledge” in the assessment of my students. This is a tantalizing conundrum!
An general statement we referred to in our STS Music tutorial was that knowledge is the accumulation of facts and Understanding was the application of the knowledge to a particular context. For example, I can know how to play a Brahms concerto, but through my knowledge of the concepts of music that combine to create the piece of music, I can understand why the piece was popular in its historical context, or I can understand why it is difficult to play.
After further research I have found two definitions which I have accepted as my optimum understanding of the terminology, how the two terms compliment each other, and therefore how I will apply it to my assessment procedures. (Clarke 2001)
• to know about, at a superficial level:
◦ relating to one entity: to be acquainted with a thing, place or person;
◦ relating to more than one entity: to be able to distinguish one from another;
• to know about, at a deeper level:
◦ relating to a single fact: to apprehend with clearness or certainty;
◦ relating to a subject as a whole: to have theoretical or practical or spiritual understanding of that subject;
• to know how:
◦ to understand from experience or attainment, as in to know how to do or to make something
Bibliography:
Clarke R, 2001, Knowledge, Retrieved 10/3/11, http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/Know.html
Reflective Journal 4 - 18/3/11
"Feelings are 55% body language, 38% tone and 7% words" Peter B. Flint
A memorable presentation that was showcased this week in our STS Music workshop covered the use of body language as a means of classroom management. Whilst many of the issues raised have been covered in a lt of our readings there was one phrase I found particularly engaging. This was the notion of, "catching good behavior."
'Matt' demonstrated a number of techniques to subdue problematic students, but also mentioned that we should praise children behaving well. This encouragement motivates the student to continue such an attitude in the classroom and has the potential to filter through to the other students.
Author Merret, F. describes the technique as "motivating responsible behavior", a method of maintaining discipline in a classroom. He also suggests that in praising good behavior, students are provoked to consider the consequences of misbehavior.
Whilst this concept appears simplistic on paper, it is in fact something I rarely thought about until it was brought to my attention in the workshop, and is absolutely something I would seek to implement in my classroom.
Reference:
Merrett, F., & Wheldall, K. (1986). Observing pupils and teachers in classrooms (OPTIC): A behavioural observation schedule for use in schools. Educational Psychology, 6(1), 57-70.
Reflective Journal 5 - 31/3/11
Got Music?
(Lanier & Little 1986) propose that a teachers background, philosophy of teaching and ideas about themselves as teachers are what construct their methods of teaching. One would assume that a subject-matter approach to teaching is one of, “declarative knowledge” (Anderson 1983) This concept suggests that this particular approach to teaching a classroom is founded on a teachers knowledge base of the subject. This means that, “knowledge of facts and subject matter...inform the content of teaching,” as opposed to, “procedural knowledge” (Goodyear 1991) that encourages problem-solving. Whilst both approaches draw on the wealth of knowledge acquired by teachers, I would be more inclined to be more successful in reaching my students by “mapping out subject matter” (Goodyear 1991) and thus facilitating their learning, as opposed to directly instilling subject matter.
This alludes to our provocation, do we teach a student or a subject?
I would define the term, ‘Teaching a student’ as the teachers ability to manipulate subject material to cater to the individual learning requirements of a student. Whilst the transmission of knowledge and information, that is the subject content, is an obvious element of a teachers duty, in certain cases the ability to understand and facilitate a student’s unique learning habits are sometimes more important. The overlap of these two teaching styles has provoked me to question further, are the two even mutually exclusive? In my experience of teaching, I have come across 3 particularly problematic students. That is, their behavior in the classroom is often beyond my means of control. So whilst I am not necessarily teaching them any valuable musical knowledge or skills, Music is the medium by which I teach them greater learning and life problem-solving techniques.
Hi Fleur
ReplyDeleteYou are thinking about so much! It is great! This is exactly what the purpose of this reflection was - to allow you to think through your own learning and how it is impacting on your ideas about teaching. Well done
Kerrie